- 1 pkt Active Dry Yeast
- 60ml/2fl.oz. Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp Mashed Potatoes
- ½ teasp ground Ginger
- 60ml/2fl.oz Milk
- 1 teasp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 200g/7oz Castor Sugar
- 100g/4oz Butter, melted
- 450g/1lb White Flour (approx)
1. Place the yeast in a mixing bowl add the warm water and allow to dissolve then stir in the 2 tablespoons sugar, potatoes and ginger, cover and leave for 5 minutes.
2. Place the milk in a saucepan and bring to boiling point. Remove from the heat, add the salt then allow to cool to lukewarm.
3. In separate small bowl, beat the eggs then gradually beat in the castor sugar then add the egg mixture to the yeast mixture together with the melted butter and mix well.
4. Stir in half of the flour, then the milk, mix briefly then add most of the remaining flour and knead for 5 minutes, adding enough extra flour to make a stiff dough.
5. Turn onto a floured work surface and knead for a further 8-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
6. Place in a lightly oiled mixing bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or clingfilm and leave to rise for about 1 hour until doubled.
7. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, knead briefly then divide the mixture into two, shape each into a loaf and place into 2 greased loaf tins. Cover loosely with a damp tea towel or clingfilm and leave to rise for about 45 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, gas Mark 3, uncover the loaves and bake for about 45 minutes.
» Portugal Recipes