- 675g/1 ½ lb Chicken quarters
- 100g/4oz Chicken Giblets, chopped
- 1.1L/40fl.oz. Water
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Stick of Celery , finely chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 150g/+5oz Long Grain Rice
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 10 Mint leaves, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the chicken portions in a large saucepan together with the giblets, water, onions, celery, salt and bay leaves. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to very low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the rice to the soup, stir well and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
4. Meanwhile, remove the skin and bones from the chicken then cut the meat into small strips.
5. Add the chicken meat to the soup together with the lemon juice and continue to cook over a low heat for a further 15-20 minutes, until the rice is very soft.
6. To serve – sprinkle with the mint and serve immediately.
» Portugal Recipes