- ½ pkt Active Dry Yeast
- 1 teasp Sugar
- 30ml/1fl.oz. Warm Water
- 350g/+12oz Plain Flour
- 100g/4oz Sugar
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 50g/2oz Butter, melted
- 1/4 teasp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 120ml/4fl.oz. Evaporated Milk
- 120ml/4fl.oz. Water
- 1 teasp Salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Sugar for dredging
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and the 1 teaspoon sugar in the warm water.
2. Place the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl, mix well then make a well in the centre.
3 Add the yeast mixture, eggs, butter, nutmeg, evaporated milk, water and salt and beat to form a soft dough. Cover and leave to rise for about 40 minutes or until doubled.
4. Preheat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 190C/375F. Drop teaspoonfuls of the risen dough from the bowl being into the hot fat and fry for a few minutes until browned. You will have to do this in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan.
5. Drain on kitchen paper then coat on all sides with granulated sugar and serve hot.
» Portugal Recipes