- 250g/9oz Mackerel Fillets
- 250g/9oz Whiting fillets
- 300g/11oz Hake fillets
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 3 Large Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Freshly chopped Fines Herbes
- 1/2 teasp Paprika
- 1L/2pts Fish stock
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 4 Slices of French Bread
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
1. Wipe the fish fillets and remove the skin. Cut flesh into neat pieces and toss in the flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and fry over a moderate heat till golden. Add the fines herbs and paprika and mix well then add the fish and any excess flour and fry for 5 minutes, stirring. Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toast the bread on both sides and put into 4 individual warmed deep soup bowls. Stir the lemon juice into the soup and adjust the seasoning to taste.
4. To serve - pour the soup over the toast and serve immediately.
» Portugal Recipes