- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 50g/2 oz Streaky Bacon, chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 900g/2lb small Clams, cleaned (see note)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley Sprigs
- 1.1L/40fl.oz. Water
- 250g/9oz Long Grain Rice (raw)
- 175g/6oz Frozen Peas
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the bacon and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
2. Add the water to the pan and bring to the boil, add the rice to the pan, stir well then add the clams and parsley, cover and simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
3. Add the frozen peas to the pan bring back to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes or until the rice is very soft and mushy.
4. To serve - remove all the shells which have loosened from the clams, discarding any clams which haven’t opened and serve immediately.
NB Before cooking make sure the clam shells are closed. Discard any which may be open and which do not close when firmly tapped.
» Portugal Recipes