- 225g/8oz Stale White Bread
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.1L/40fl.oz. Chicken stock
- 100g/4oz Cooked peeled Prawns (Shrimp)
- 1-2 teasp Hot Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 Eggs (raw)
- Freshly chopped Parsley
1. Break the bread up into small pieces place in a shallow dish, just cover with cold water and leave to soak for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Squeeze out as much of the water as possible and set the bread aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and sauté until just beginning to brown.
4. Add the stock, bring to a simmer then add the bread and cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, or until the bread completely breaks down forming a soup.
5. Add the prawns, salt and pepper sauce to taste and cook, stirring for a further 5 minutes.
6. To serve - transfer the soup in a serving bowl, sprinkle with the parsley then break the eggs on top of the soup. Once at the table, stir the eggs into the soup just before serving.
» Portugal Recipes