Portugal travel guide

PORTUGAL TRAVEL

YOUR TRAVEL GUIDE TO PORTUGAL

Évora Travel Guide

The City of Evora

The town de Evora is one of the finest and more charming of Portugal. It's a true open-air museum with a large number of wonderfully preserved monuments and buildings of public interest that led UNESCO to protect it as a World Heritage Site.

Basically the city and its population with around of 41.00 likes to be considered as a seat of learning with its original University, which was founded in 16th century by Cardinal Dom Henrique. In the interior of the wall the most prominent feature is without doubt the 2th or 3th century ruins of a roman temple, in tribute to the Goddess Diana.

The Plaza Armas with its 16th Century fountain has a sad history. However among other events Dom Joao II witnessed the beheading by his orders of his brother-in-law, the then Duque de Braganca who was accused of betrayal to the throne.

In that then events later led to the descendents of this same Duke in 1640 to the throne of Portugal. However include ceremonies held by the Jesuit Inquisition as impressive spectacles to place fear into the spectators. Also an of the another macabre reminder is the Capela dos Ossos in the 15th century, Church of Sao Francisco. Here lies the bones of around 5.000 persons with an entrance sign reading (we bones that here await yours).

In the town of Evora there are many museums, principally the Museu de Arte Sacra, Galeria de Arte Casa Cadaval, the Museu de Artes Decorativas Religiosas and the Museu de Évora. The later museum was formerly the palace of the Bishop and was built with many worked stones from previous buildings in the town. It also houses some interesting religious items. One of the outstanding architectural interest is the Palácio dos Condes de Basto The Palácio de Dom Manuel (also known as Convento de Sao Bento de Castris), which was built in 1490 was used as the seat of the court by the House of Avis during their reign.

Outside and close to the town is a 18 kilometre Aqueduct built in 1532 to supply water to the town's inhabitants. Nearby is the "Convento da Cartuxa" a 16th century Monastery which is still occupied by seven monks. When visiting take advantage of the several excellent restaurants serving regional specialities.


About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2005 - 2017 - All rights reserved.